Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Very Lazy Weekend

I made an accidental decision yesterday. 

I woke up at about 7:30, ready to get up and be super-productive. I had big plans for my Saturday: run, go to a weights class, go to the library and return books, go to the temple, grocery shop, hang up pictures, etc., etc., etc.

But then I looked over at my cute sleeping husband and decided that I could sleep for just 20 more minutes. Which consequently turned into 20 more, than 20 more, than 20 more...

...and before I knew it we had cuddled the morning away. I can't remember the last time I got out of bed after 11. Really, I usually can't sleep very well past 8. It was glorious. We talked, watched Parks and Rec, and when we finally emerged we made a breakfast (well more of a lunch, really) of waffles, smoothies, eggs and bacon. We hadn't done that for a long time, and it was tres fun. I couldn't stop hugging Dave for some reason.

Then, we cuddled on the couch some more. Then I took a nap. Which was very needed since I had woken up four hours earlier. And been out of bed for two of those hours. I pretended to already be asleep when I heard Dave tip-toe into our room and cover me up a little more and then close the door softly, just so that I could savor how sweet it was. 

When I woke up I ran to the store and got food for this week, and then we made a quick taco soup dinner before going to the temple. 

That is one thing on my original list for the day that I am very glad that we ended up doing. 

We tried to actually take a cute picture instead of our usual goofy ones, but the poor frazzled father that we asked to take it had us face into the sun and chopped off our feet. I didn't have the heart to make him re-compose us into a better shot. So here is a very squinty picture of us outside of the temple. At least we both look tall for some reason. I think because the man was squatting down:


We decided to do sealings, which is always fun because it makes me ponder when we were sealed together (which was five whole months ago Friday! It actually feels longer to me...). The sweet little man who was the sealer for our group stopped in the middle and talked to us for a while. We found out that he had lost his own wife to cancer two weeks ago to the day. Naturally, the ordinances that he was performing had such a deep and profound meaning to him now that he has to have faith that he truly will see his wife again. 

He said a lot of really cool things but one thing really touched me: he said that, with his wife's long illness, he had a lot of time to prepare for their separation. They had 54 very happy years together. Still, he said "this time now that we are going to be apart for a little while is no fun." He said that we should cherish and love each other and hopefully we will look back on our lives and have no regrets about our marriage or our time with our spouse.

I know it's cliche, but at the end of my life, I know I won't regret sleeping in just for this one day, and cuddling with the love of my life and spending the whole entire day in the same room as him. I think I might regret never having time for lazy weekends where we just love being together because I have a huge, not-so-important list of to-do's. Not that you don't need SOME discipline in life...just not so much that you don't get to savor just BEING together sometimes.

Seeing as I had been so lazy and cuddly yesterday, I felt it was only right to carry on the tradition today, as well. Except, Dave has been busy so I have been cuddling with my blanket on the couch and reading the Ensign and blogs and my favorite Mormon Messages. Why can't we get a conference pic in the Ensign??? We are cute and inter-racial, you would think they would eat that right up! In October we just need to have cute umbrella and be laughing as we run into the Conference Center. They always have one of those. That is sure to get us in. (I am kidding. I don't really care...we always joke about trying to get a picture in the conference edition though because they always have at least one young married couple...)

*footnote: after the temple we were contemplating going to a dollar movie but Dave decided to be responsible and study, so I watched "Catch Me if You Can" while he did homework. It was so good! We have this need to wikipedia movies that have a true element to the story right after they are done, so that we can see how much really happened. Even though Dave wasn't really watching (he had seen it before) the second it finished he said "ok, time to wikipedia it and find out how much is true!" and it turns out it is mostly all true! What a crazy story! I love a good "inspired by a true story" movie for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment