Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Commonly Confused Words...

....are something that is required for 7th and 8th graders to learn about, and therefore, the topic of my lesson this morning at AFJH. And as it turns out, they were pretty good at picking up the difference between "Its" and "It's" and "Hear" and "Here." In looking over the practice sentences that I had them write, here were some of my favorites:

--You're being possessed by me (correct use of "you're" but creepy...)
--My dad gave dessert to my mom for Valentine's day." (Sweet--good man, dad)
--And, instead of writing 10 practice sentences like they were supposed to, one student just wrote this "Your mom is awesome." (At least he used the right "your." And my mom says thanks.)

I have decided that 7th graders are awesome. They are young enough to still think that you are cool, and even if they are sassy a little at least they do what you ask them to. They still haven't figured out that terrible truth that every teacher is waiting in terrified fear for her students to discover: if they don't want to listen to you, you really do not have it in your physical power to make them do anything. If you know anyone under the age of 18 who is enrolled in the public school system, please do not tell them this information.

Like, the fact that I am married helps me big time. I think they think that I am like 40. One of my friends (who is 23 like me) told me that her students thought that she was 35. Ha! I would be offended except for that fact that the older that you seem, the more they listen to you.

Anyone have any good plans for Valentine's Day? We are going to wait to go to dinner until Thursday to pass up the rush tonight. And today wasn't the best anyway since I am still getting over this dang cold. I feel kind of dumb that my last post was about running since I have skipped that for the past two days under the auspice of "taking care of myself." Oh well, I'm just tapering before the race, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment